Sunday, August 8, 2010

I Love Karaoke!!!!!!!!!

So this post will serve dual purposes: first to keep all you little gaijins out there informed of my life, and second to be an idea sink for karaoke songs.

Because no one ever knows what song to start with, and the first 5 minutes are always stony silence. Like right here.



Oh yes, I should probably mention first that karaoke in Asia is VERY different from karaoke in the States. And I didn't even know there was a difference until this spring break. They had karaoke night on Carnival Destiny, which turned out to be one mic, in front of a room of 100+ people, and all you got to sing were oldies. And there was a LINE UP. See, in Asia, you have karaoke rooms, where you go with 3 or 20 friends, there's always at least two mics, and they have these fancy machines for you to pick songs on. There're tambourines in one corner, cushy couches in the other, a nice stage if you're lucky, and they serve you food. And drinks. And the most up-to-date pop song collections.

... even if the lyrics are wrong and the videos are sh*t.

But you're there to sing songs and have fun with your friends, right? Stage fright should never factor into anything. So screw American karaoke. Order some booze and have fun. Welcome to Asia.


Sooooo just this last weekend, I got invited to a Sister Cities' party (above). Himeji's sister city is Phoenix, so naturally they know how to party it up :) For cheap too! So we got hustled into this ginormous 20 person room, which had a stage, and Daniel 'n I had so much fun we went back the next night with our own party of 20! I bawled my voice out both days and somehow managed to cut my hand on the tambourine. It bites. (below: not me, but the same deadly tambourine XD)



But, seeing as how the few karaoke pics I have are terrible and it's all from the same room... I leave you with a list of decent karaoke songs. And another picture of karaoke entertainment extraordinaire - JJ.



English
Eurhythmics - Sweet Dreams
Scissor Sisters - Take Your Mama
Kevin Rudolf ft. Little Wayne - Let It Rock
All American Rejects - Give You Hell
Smile.dk - Butterfly (where's MY samurai :P)
The Beatles - I am the Walrus
Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way
.... you get the idea

Also on principle I refuse to put Bohemian Rhapsody and Disney on the list.

Japanese (in case a few of you wanted to have a go at it)
Sid - Uso
Cha La Head Cha La (DBZ opening theme)
Anything by Hikaru Utada
Anything by Ayumi Hamasaki (if you dare)
Home Made Kazoku - Arigato, Nagareboshi
L'arc en Ciel - My Heart Draws a Dream (but you'll have to drop the song a couple of steps)

4 comments:

  1. Haha I love karaoke. Did you do the free time all night from 10-5???? I LOOOOVE DOING THAT :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bohemian Rhapsody is a must though! And what's wrong with Disney songs? I prefer those as well as the Beatles songs, because most of your Japanese counterparts will "know" them and get very excited about showing off their skills (once slightly intoxicated, of course).

    PS I don't think I could ever sing Heart Draws a Dream...how in the world do you reach some of those notes??

    ReplyDelete
  3. eh.... falsetto :D I mean, that's how Hyde does it. Also there's the tone adjuster ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I'm trying to figure out how you cut your hand on a tambourine.

    ReplyDelete