Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Things I miss from home

Two months. I've been here two months. (yes I am a girl and I'm counting my 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 12 month anniversaries. Only difference is I DON'T CARE if no one else remembers it.)

That's a lot of time. By now, the Math 103 kids will just be getting back their first midterm, the Orgo kids will be wondering why they wanted to be pre-med in the first place, and normally, my friends will soon be having my farewell party for no-show November (Passport editing. duh).


3am. On a cold March morning. 2 articles publishable, 10 to go. Yep, good times.

But instead, I'm having a mini-reflection thingy going on about home (Duke and HK both, but mostly Duke) and the things I miss most. Things. Not people. I'm a guy, and I believe the people I miss know who they are. If you're not sure, consider yourself on the list :P


Food



Only Burger - Mobile, delicious, on twitter, on campus (they take food points) and second ONLY to In and Out. They also get bonus points for having amazing business sense and being on campus for every basketball game. I know cuz I was at all of them last year.


Not Dales, but it's delicious looking Indian food!!

Dales' lunch buffet - the $8 all you can eat lunch buffet is a steal. And also a close, convenient source of chicken makhani. Those of you in Durham - I'm looking at you Caleb - go for me prease.


Cookout milkshakes - These are the only possible explanations for why you don't know about cookout... 1. You live outside of N.C. 2. You have no friends. 39 flavors. THIRTY NINE. I still haven't had all of them yet, and it is THE place to get your late night party food since it's open till 3:30am. Provided you have a sober driver - there is no restaurant seating, it's drive through only.

Speaking of which, Scott Rong owes me a tray.


Not Food
(what can I say, I live a simple life)



Duke Basketball - obviously, if you read my last post. Or know me on any level. The madness resumes 6:30 pm October 15. EDT. Bet your beer money I'll be glued on youtube for clips. And on ESPN 360 for the live games, wearing my Go To Hell Carolina t-shirt. At work.

Last year: Conference Champions, beat UNC BADLY twice, undefeated (17-0) at home, National Champions. Also UNC sucked. Like, barely-had-a-winning-season suck.

This year: TBD






Farmer's Market - summer's over so no more Heirloom Tomatoes, but it's fall, which means pumpkin time!!

g105 - for music, otherwise I have no idea how to dance to the songs at parties. Thankfully, even though there is a lack of means to keep up with billboard, I'm in Japan, which means the club music is probably 3-6 months behind anyways. So I'm good for a bit longer.

Justine's piano - yes her digital piano is just that amazing (also much closer than going to Biddle)

Comedy Central and Food Network - Mostly I hate having to wait an extra 5 hours to watch the Daily Show on the net instead of live on my TV.


Lastly, here is your Japanese food of the week: Omurice!



Delicious fried Japanese rice wrapped inside an omelet and served with curry/gravy? For only 600 yen? YES PLEASE!!

Available at a department store or hole in the wall near you.

2 comments:

  1. nick! i sense a lot of nostalgia in this post.
    1. I haven't been to Dales' lunch buffet yet, but I've ordered in dinner. (now you're going to go like: omg you never had it??? gooo!)
    2. I'm actually slightly concerned about Duke basketball...the concept of it just doesn't make sense without you on campus.
    3. That omurice dish looks amazing. It's 1:23 am here and it made me hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The piano is pining for you, too, Nick. It's sitting about a foot away from me looking very sad in your absence. Just have to come visit. ;-)

    ReplyDelete